Re: Request for CCG Chair Intervention in CCG Process

Thanks Manu.  I agree it may be overkill in some cases, and if we see
things slow way too far down on early incubation items we can address as a
community.  That is one of the benefits we have as a community group, that
we can adopt appropriate process where needed e.g. in this case for
managing dissent: where the Editors of a work item act in the role of the
"Chairs" in a traditional W3C working group.

I have a clarification from the docs on your 3rd point:

> 3. There will be no ability for a group to use any form of
>    simple majority or supermajority voting to make a
>    temporary decision, manage dissent, and/or move on. We
>    are now required to use the full blown W3C Process for
>    all resolutions in work item groups.

Quoting from here: https://www.w3.org/2020/Process-20200915/#Consensus
"A charter may include threshold requirements for consensus decisions. For
instance, a charter might require a supermajority of eligible participants
(i.e., some established percentage above 50%) to support certain types of
consensus decisions."

In the CCG this implies that the Work Item editors may determine mechanisms
such as supermajority voting at the work item level to achieve consensus,
but I would caution that unless a method is clearly defined and approved by
contributors to the work item this could lead to issues such as we have
seen here.  Resolutions where it is clear that the group is strongly
divided and there is no clear consensus at all, or even a direction towards
consensus, that receive a formal objection would likely not be upheld on an
appeal.  Because of the goal for consensus, simple majority approaches
could be highly problematic.  Likely, when consensus cannot be reached the
topic should be shelved and revisited at a later date when it appears that
consensus might be possible on a particular topic.

Mike Prorock
CTO, Founder
https://mesur.io/