FYI: What makes a standard ‘world class’?

From: Michael Herman (Trusted Digital Web) <mwherman@parallelspace.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 12:43:14 +0000
To: "public-credentials (public-credentials@w3.org)" <public-credentials@w3.org>
Quoting…

What makes a standard ‘world class’?

It is not easy to say exactly what makes one standard better than another, but the following points are probably the most important:

  *   A world class standard should have well-defined objectives that respond to real needs in a timely manner.
  *   Its technical content should be complete and accurate.
  *   It should be easy to understand (or as easy as the subject matter allows!) and easy to implement.
  *   Its requirements should be expressed clearly and unambiguously.
  *   It should be validated.
  *   It should be well-maintained.

Reference: https://www.etsi.org/images/files/Brochures/AGuideToWritingWorldClassStandards.pdf

I recommend that these 6 points be used as “exit criteria” for all W3C specifications/standards efforts.  For example, I don’t believe we have met this bar with the VC Data Model 1.0 specification (https://github.com/w3c/vc-data-model/issues/480#issuecomment-898876288).

Best regards,
Michael Herman
Far Left Self-Sovereignist

Self-Sovereign Blockchain Architect