From: Joe Andrieu <joe@legreq.com>
Sent: August 5, 2021 11:35 PM
To: Michael Herman (Trusted Digital Web) <mwherman@parallelspace.net>; Credentials Community Group <public-credentials@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Super Majority Votes: how are we measuring this?

If your argument isn't found compelling, that isn't clichism (whatever that means). It just means your words didn't resonate with others.

However, you have a good point. The W3C is not a place for first principles thinking. It's a place for standardizing working systems.

The incubation of happens in other forums. The CCG is one avenue that helps transition from incubation to standards track. It's approach is exceptionally experimental and as such, definitely could use some maturation. It's kind of a weird outlier in the W3C system. We've managed to be extremely prolific and successful at transitioning well-developed technology to proper working groups and eventually to standards. However, that has really only been successful so far with technology that has essentially already been figured out. We haven't had as much luck with younger ideas, precisely because figuring out what works is hard; it's nearly impossible to do that as a committee. Rather, tech that works becomes the focus of attention and people who care about that work help define a consensus standard that meets the requirements of the largest percentage of actual implementers. It's different implementers finding the best way to work together.

The work isn't research, it's alignment.

In short, the W3C is a standards organization, not a research group.

-j