RE: WoN Re: Public consultation on EU digital principles

I think this is an important topic and I like the general concept of cryptographically binding VCs to a legal jurisdiction, or be noticeably NOT bound to a legal jurisdiction. I’m hoping to see more discussion around this.

Some thoughts:

Legal actions are (should be) a backstop of last resort as a way to prevent people from using rocks and sticks to settle disputes. In the majority of cases the legal framework should be there to provide guidance and encourage participants to 'do the right thing' but otherwise remain dormant. From this perspective, simply and clearly communicating the rules by which any issuer/holder/verifier transaction is subject I see as a good thing.

…However, from a practical standpoint there are a number of sticky issues that would need to be managed:

* Under what authority would a VC be bound to a legal jurisdiction?
* Could an individual issuer/holder/verifier unilaterally commit themselves to a legal jurisdiction?
* Would binding be imposed by a government based on the legal residency of the participant or something else?
* Would a government be able or willing to be the authority to bind jurisdictions to a large number of VCs? In the non-VC world, contracts typically assert a legal jurisdiction under which they operate and only if/when legal proceedings begin will the assertion of jurisdiction be validated. In the VC world, presumably a government authority would pre-emptively assert a jurisdiction(?)
* In complex cases there would likely be issues of overlapping / conflicting jurisdictions and rules that might only be resolvable during legal proceedings

Lastly, I’ll get on my soapbox and say that it is not infrequently the case where more information IS NOT better. It may be great, for example, that I know a particular VC is bound to the legal jurisdiction of SomeWhereistan, but unless I have a relevant and meaningful understanding of the rules of the jurisdiction, it affords me little value with respect to evaluating the risk associated with a VC.

OK, now really lastly. I also think in very many cases, many of these ideas can and should be applied to binding VCs to non-legal jurisdictions. Specifically trusted entities like industry associations, standards bodies, etc whose brand seeks to convey trust to their membership by establishing rules and compliance activities.

-S