Re: CBOR-LD stabilization (was: Re: Regarding CBOR-LD Web Transports)

> On Apr 25, 2021, at 8:13 AM, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
>
> On 4/21/21 9:28 AM, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
>> However, I am concerned about the status (or lack thereof) on the actual
>> specification.
>
> There is the start of a specification here, albeit, it is now out of date and
> light on details:
>
> https://digitalbazaar.github.io/cbor-ld-spec/
>
>> Without an actual specification, preferably on an active track(!), it will
>> not be possible for this technology to be used in other standards that
>> would wish to do so.
>
> While I agree with this statement, we're still in early days with the
> pre-standard... it's not even a CG work item (in any CG, yet). We proposed it
> to the JSON-LD group and the response was tepid interest and confusion.

To clarify, there was certainly interest in the JSON-LD WG for CBOR-LD, and work started on a note [1]. The problem was that it came in late in the process and we didn’t have sufficient expertise among active participants. However, the core specs opened the way for this by separating the core algorithms from the JSON syntax.

IIRC, the group felt that its role would be to define the specific transformations between the core representation and not the content of any context that would be required to get the best encoding to take advantage of CBOR. Manu and Dave’s spec depends on a specific Term Codec Registry, which would be an application of a core spec, and the group didn’t quite figure out how that might work within a standard framework.

I would suggest separating the core normative algorithms for CBOR-LD from the registry ittself so that there is room for alternate registries or updates to a registry over time.

Note the the JSON-LD WG remains open as a Maintenance Group and could publish a document (not sure if it can be TR, though) given participants with interest to work on it.

Gregg

[1] https://w3c.github.io/json-ld-cbor/