Re: JSON-LD (Was:Re: Vaccination Certificate Test Suite)

Nikos – I am sure others will step in with more specifics, but the general answer is that all of these things exist as a way to enable the various requirements in the JSON-LD spec (https://www.w3.org/TR/json-ld/).  To quote:

In addition to all the features JSON provides, JSON-LD introduces:

  *   a universal identifier mechanism for JSON objects<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8259#section-4> via the use of IRIs<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3987#section-2>,
  *   a way to disambiguate keys shared among different JSON documents by mapping them to IRIs<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3987#section-2> via a context<https://www.w3.org/TR/json-ld/#dfn-context>,
  *   a mechanism in which a value in a JSON object<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8259#section-4> may refer to a resource<https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#dfn-resource> on a different site on the Web,
  *   the ability to annotate strings<https://infra.spec.whatwg.org/#javascript-string> with their language,
  *   a way to associate datatypes with values such as dates and times,
  *   and a facility to express one or more directed graphs, such as a social network, in a single document.

Many of these are key features of Linked Data technologies such as RDF, which is a key driver behind the LD part of JSON-LD (https://www.w3.org/TR/json-ld/#relationship-to-rdf).

Leonard