Re: JWS Clear Text JSON Signature Option (JWS/CT)

Thank you for raising the awareness of this draft<https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-jordan-jws-ct-00.html>.

I propose that an optional JWS header parameter be introduced to allow the specification of alternative canonicalization methods for situations where a document may not conform to the limitations of I-JSON.

Of the alternative canonicalization efforts listed in RFC8785, they all have issues:

  *   https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-staykov-hu-json-canonical-form-00
     *   Does not specify any form of canonicalization for keys and strings, so cannot be implemented
  *   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Canonical_JSON
     *   Does not allow floating point numbers, so is more restrictive than I-JSON.
  *   https://gibson042.github.io/canonicaljson-spec/
     *   Supports all valid JSON, but has a security vulnerability with large integers

The gibson042 security vulnerability is that integers are forbidden to use exponents, so 1E+3 must be written as 1000, 1E+6 must be written as 1000000 and 1E+1000000000 requires a gigabyte of storage. This allows a bad actor to perform a denial of service attack by sending small messages that then require very large resources to process. This vulnerability can be resolved by using the non-integer rules for integers, or allowing the use of exponents in integers when the number of trailing zeros exceeds some limit. A maximum of 18 trailing zeros would allow all possible uint64 values to represented without using exponents or decimal points, but prevent the use of large exponents as a denial of service. Unfortunately the gibson042 proposal appears to be orphaned or abandoned so this is unlikely to get addresses at source.

I believe that being able to produce a canonical form for *all* JSON is a worthwhile goal, and the modified gibson042 I’ve just described does exactly that.

To that end I propose:

  1.  An optional header parameter be included to allow a non RFC-8785 canonicalization method to be specified
  2.  RFC-8785 canonicalization would be the default method
  3.  The gibson042 proposal, suitably modified to address the security problem, be recognised as a standard
  4.  This method for canonicalization of all JSON documents be listed as an alternative method.

Kind Regards,

Dr Simon Greatrix