Re: Requirements for PDF as container for VC's

I realized after writing that my comment on #2 was not accessibility friendly.  It really should be “human consumable representation” since the content may be consumed in non-visible representations for the same purpose.

Leonard

From: Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com>
Date: Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 4:49 PM
To: Steve Capell <steve.capell@gmail.com>
Cc: Bill Claxton <williamc@itr8.com>, "public-credentials@w3.org" <public-credentials@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Requirements for PDF as container for VC's

Steven – we have to be careful to not to conflate issues…

1 – Can a machine determine if the data being used for presentation directly matches that used as “data”?   That problem can be solved by either have a single set of data that is used in both cases – though I am not aware of any situation where that is the case – in all cases there is a TRANSFORM from one to the other.  So if you aren’t using the same data, then you need a way to “connect the dots” so that it is clear what part of the presentation matches what part of the data.  PDF supports that using semantic tagging of content (as I showed in my presentation).

2 – Can a human determine if the data is correct?  Yes, by having a human visible representation the human verified that what they see is what they expect.

3 – Determine which representation – human or machine – is the “master”.  In the eInvoicing standards of the EU, the machine readable XML is the master copy and the PDF presentation si just that – human readable presentation.  I would expect that in our VC cases the same would be true.  No?

Leonard