Re: Requirements for PDF as container for VC's

Hi Leonard,

Thanks for initiating this. I have been thinking of this as well.

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 3:23 AM Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com> wrote:

> Kicking off some discussions here – I’d like to start by putting down what
> I think are some “primary” requirements for the use of PDF in this
> context.  Am I missing anything?  Do you disagree with any of these?
> Feedback welcome!!
>

> *## Requirements*
>

> - Shall store the VC in native JSON-LD (w/optional compression)
>
> - VC should be in an easily accessible location (for both reading &
> writing)

Agree. And JSON-LD is what we intend to use. There could also be a
'serialization/type' option to specify the serialization to accommodate
other use cases (XML? CBOR-LD?), if need be.

> - Should require no language changes to PDF (except "metadata"-like
> values)
>
>     - implies compatibility with both PDF 1.7 and 2.0

Agree. I assume that PDF 1.7 implies compatibility with older versions as
well?

> - Shall be usable in conjunction with standard PDF Signing/Certification

Makes sense. I have questions here wrt the PDF spec and how signing is
happening (the 'hole' in the file approach) but these are for later.

Regards,
Kostas

--
Konstantinos A. Karasavvas
Software Architect, Blockchain Engineer, Researcher, Educator