RE: A question on best practices for dependent claims

Actually, these are exactly the type of use cases I think are important to get on the radar of the WG to challenge our thinking. In your Sarah Doe example, as I understand it the department of public health in Australia accredits inspectors directly, so the chain is pretty short: the validator is either comfortable with the assurance of the government or is not. In other scenarios a verifier might have to continue farther up the chain to reach an institution they know or are comfortable with.

-S

From: Steve Capell <steve.capell@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2020 3:10 PM
To: steve.e.magennis@gmail.com
Cc: Luca Boldrin <luca.boldrin@infocert.it>; Adrian Gropper <agropper@healthurl.com>; W3C Credentials CG <public-credentials@w3.org>
Subject: Re: A question on best practices for dependent claims

Thanks steve, I will have a look at toip

“ The main question is what does a verifier need to trust. In the above example, is the question simply do I have the right university, or is it that the university accredited, by a certified accreditor, etc. In the real world, much of this is known to and trusted a-priori by the participants, or at least is assumed based on seeing a familiar name, a letterhead, having had previous contact, etc.”

It’s certainly true that, as a verifier, I really don’t need the trust chain to price accreditation if the issuer itself is already well known (eg Oxford / Harvard).  But most o our use cases are not like that.  It’s not general public knowledge (although often publically accessible ) that Australian business 78 145 321 320 is the trademark owner of lindemans wine.  Or that John Smith is an accredited vet.  Or that Sarah doe is an authorised officer that is accredited for food safety inspections - and so on.  These are our main use cases

Steven Capell

Mob: 0410 437854