Re: A question on best practices for dependent claims

I'm happy to respond to your questions with my thoughts:

   - Do DIDs even have to consider VC at all?
   - No.  VCs are made much easier (viable?) with DIDs to bind the claims
      to the issuer, but not the reverse (DIDs relying on VCs). For VCs with no
      "call home" component, I think DIDs are extremely useful, bordering on
      necessary.
   - Isn't everything about a DID and DID document entirely public?
   - A public DID is -- e.g. on one a public ledger. However, a peer DID
      shared only amongst communicating entities is not. And such a peer DID is
      not useful for VCs -- the are just to enable a secure
communication channel.
   - Do DIDs natively have anything to do with holders, claims, ZKP's?
   - DIDs have something to do with claims -- they are used to determine
      who issued the claims. As well, in BBS+, the signatures on the claims are
      derived from the public key in the DIDDoc of the issuer to enable
      tamper-evidence.
   - Can't a DID-capable wallet be useful and interoperable if it enables
   non-repudiable digital signatures, authentication and authorization without
   any notion of VCs, credentials and claims?
      - I don't think they are useful -- at least I've not seen good
      examples. I think DIDs are necessary foundational elements, but I see far
      more value in VC wallets as the "useful and interoperable" layer. The
      biggest issue for me is correlatability - a DID being "the
identifier" for
      a person.
   - Do DID methods have anything much to do with VCs?
      - They do insofar as DIDs bind the VC with the issuer and so to
      resolve the issuer, you need to be able to use it's DID method.  By
      extension, issuer DIDs enable tamper-evidence and support for revocation
      (proof that the issuer revoked an issued credential).
      - In some VC models, DIDs also bind the holder to the credential
      during presentation of a proof.

--

Stephen Curran
Principal, Cloud Compass Computing, Inc. (C3I)

*Schedule a Meeting: **https://calendly.com/swcurran
<https://calendly.com/swcurran>*