Re: On JSON-LD with DIDs and VCs

On 1/10/20 7:58 AM, Oliver Terbu wrote:
> If DID Doc consumers have "remote context retrieval" enabled for
> arbitrary URIs

Don't do this in production... ever. :)

The attack you are concerned about is completely mitigated by not
allowing software to arbitrarily download and execute code from the
Internet.

This is a general security practice in any software system.

If you are writing production grade software and security is a concern,
don't let your software retrieve random documents from the Internet.

With respect to the attack you outlined, there is zero difference
between *properly implemented* JSON processors vs. JSON-LD processors.

> Please note, that this is not an exhaustive list of attacks. It
> would take quite an effort to identify all vulnerabilities that are
> potentially(!) enabled by just using JSON-LD.

You have, to date, identified zero successful attacks for properly
implemented systems using JSON-LD.

> Additionally, I want to explicitly note, that I'm not saying that
> there are no attacks possible on JSON-only DID Docs. But it will have
> a different risk profile.

You have yet to produce a single attack model that differentiates a
proper JSON implementation from a proper JSON-LD implementation.

... but this is fun, keep going. :)

We should be critical of these systems and try different attack models
to see if there are vulnerabilities.

https://tinyurl.com/veres-one-launches