Re: On JSON-LD with DIDs and VCs

See my comments below ...

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 8:08 PM Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
wrote:

> On 1/7/20 1:22 PM, Oliver Terbu wrote:
> > Note, that JSON-only processors won't have that issue and you can
> > replace "government" with any type of issuers that have an interest
> > in the online behavior of the user.
>
> JSON-only processors that don't have an extensibility mechanism will
> fail to enable diverse industries to create their own credential types
> and will fail in the market. What am I missing?

That is not related to the issue. However, I don't see that necessarily to
happen without having JSON-LD but I recognized that this is a discussion
where we will likely not come to a shared conclusion (see the most recent
W3C DID WG discussion).

> This isn't purely a JSON vs. JSON-LD issue -- it's a more specific
> version of the phone home problem and there are mechanisms (as Orie
> deftly outlined in the previous email) that can prevent phone home if a
> URL is going to be used to retrieve external information as a part of
> the verification process. Note that the spec talks about this very attack:
>
> https://www.w3.org/TR/vc-data-model/#validity-checks
>
> There are also multiple solutions to this specific concern (among the
> ones that Orie has already mentioned), but the easiest ones at a higher
> level are:
>
> * Wallets should mark VCs as potentially being used to track them if the
>   JSON-LD Contexts are not well known.
>
> * Verifiers should reject VCs containing contexts that are not well
>   known and/or loaded from a cache.

Companies that are large enough could exert enough pressure to dilute these
checks. Furthermore, many of these checks are prone to errors as the
complexity is quite considerable.

> ... and in the very worst case:
>
> * Industry launches a mix-net caching proxy for JSON-LD contexts if this
>   really becomes an issue.

I guess that could work :)

> Does that answer your question, Oliver?

Partially, yes.

Note, that does not mean that we won't support processing of JSON-LD in VCs.

Still, I don't see any good reason why we should prioritise extensibility
over security and privacy at theses layers.

Oliver