Re: VCs - zCaps / OCap a Discussion

I made some updates to this strawman proposal for using the VC Data Model
to describe capabilities, capabilities chains, delegation and invocation:

https://transmute-industries.github.io/authorization-credentials/

There are tests, covering some basics of verification of both capabilities
and invocation.

There is really nothing original in this approach, its simply applying the
W3C VC Data Model to the ZCAP-LD spec here:
https://github.com/w3c-ccg/zcap-ld

I am assuming that 0 changes to the VC Data Model will be allowed, and that
the specific JSON data model for expressing capabilities may vary from
domain to domain... I chose to try and combine some of the GNAP structured
scopes stuff just to make everyone even more frustrated :)

I've had hallway conversations about this work in a number of places, and
most of what I have to say on the subject has already been said on this
thread, but I want to echo what Daniel Hardman said regarding
"identity"..... I see the relevant parts of VC Data Model as being about
identifiers, semantically unambious expression of complexity (as it related
to permissions / trust) and cryptographic protection mechanisms for those
assertion formats.

VCs are not about "Identity" any more than ECDSA is about identity... how a
capability is expressed, and how it is authenticated / protected are
natural fit for the "credentialSubject" and "proof" section of VCs.... but
I could say the same thing of the "payload" and "header / signature"
sections of https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7515

... so what's the real problem with authorization?

It's not "identities" or "proof formats".... its "scopes".... If you have
spent any amount of time in enterprise api configuration hell, you probably
are aware of all the different ways that companies have found to map
strings to capabilities (being the bearer of a token with the proper
scopes)...

For example, google as some nice URIs:

https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.user (great documentation
available at this link)

https://developers.facebook.com/docs/permissions/reference/ (facebook will
need to review your app to make sure you care as much about user privacy as
they do)

Microsoft, Apple, Amazon... all the big tech companies that we use for our
personal data, and our corporate data all have their own way of expressing
this information...

There was a time, when you had to buy a different floppy disk /  drive and
use different software in order to move your data around on the first
PCs... that's where we are in "enterprise api integration land" today...
The only point of commonality is OAuth 2.0 (HTTPS / JWT)... it's like
saying we have interop because we agreed to use binary computers.... (don't
get me wrong, we need at least one way to communicate, and until something
can actually beat OAuth in a fair fight... it's all we have).

The thing that excites me the most about a cryptographically secure
semantic capabilities future is the hope that one day a human will be able
to understand what systems access their data, and will be able to change
those policies in ways that make sense to both humans and machines, without
reading OAuth Scope documentation for 3 weeks.

The semantic side of the VC Data Model seems unreasonably heavy until you
consider the alternative, and then it seems like a reasonable
upfront investment to avoid a problem of unbounded economically
incentivised complexity.

OS

--
*ORIE STEELE*