From: George Lund <george.lund@digital.cabinet-office.gov.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, December 15, 2020 2:16 AM
To: Heather Vescent <heathervescent@gmail.com>
Cc: W3C Credentials CG (Public List) <public-credentials@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Manifesto: Rules for standards-makers by Dave Winer

Hi all

Love this document, and there's little to fault at all. My only critique would be that "It totally doesn't matter what we call it" isn't really a corollary of "Perfection is a waste of time", for me.

I'd say that naming things is hard, and one mustn't try to be completely right first time. But the confusion that can persist when something is incorrectly named, and that name is allowed to live on despite actual practice, can be very damaging in the long run. You end up with a situation where something is "obvious" to those with long experience in a field, but commonly misunderstood by those working on the edge of it or engineers (experienced or not) coming new to a topic. A good format (for example) allows a new version to be rename things as needed, with old names marked as a deprecated aliases (or whatever is appropriate).

Clarity of language is even more important when communicating with people whose first language isn't English, not less so - the "symbols" thing is just wrong I think.

George