Re: VCs - zCaps / OCap a Discussion

Adrian Gropper <agropper@healthurl.com> wrote:

> Privately, since you did not include the list.

Sorry.  The lists I most often use automatically send to the list when you
Reply.  I'll have to train myself to Reply All.  I've left the original
message following this reply.

> I'm completely baffled by your explanation. You use PAP as if I knew what
> you're talking about.

Sorry.  You used the terms PEP and PDP, which I learned the same time I
learned of PAP.  I thought they naturally go together.  A good description
is at https://ldapwiki.com/wiki/Policy%20Based%20Management%20System.
Basically, the PAP manages access authorization policies.

> Here are the actors in the use-case example.
> Company A - a service that is willing to delegate control to a data
> subject named Alice (not an employee of anyone)
> Company A PEP - the place where a Client's capability is enforced. The PEP
> does not see the request.

In the systems I know, the PEP stands between the client and the service.
When a request comes in, the PEP forwards the request to the PDP.  The PDP
evaluates the policy provided by the PAP and returns an Allow/Deny decision
to the PEP.

> PDP - A service controlled by Alice as data subject. This service is not
> controlled by anyone else. It represents Alice's persona or identity to
> everyone else.

That's a very different definition of a Policy Decision Point (PDP) than
I've been using.

> A Request endpoint at the PDP where an input (from Bob and some user agent
> of Bob's) is evaluated against Policy to return an authorization to Bob's
> user agent.

That's the way it works in an ocap system.  In a conventional
authentication-based system, the PDP directly sends an Allow/Deny response
to the PEP instead of returning an authorization.

> A Client - that may be operated by either Alice or Bob or Charlie that
> presents a capability to the Company A PEP.

That's my definition.

> The Client software statement is an _optional_ certificate that may be
> presented to the PEP.

How is the software statement used?

> Adrian

Alan Karp