Re: Hygiene for a computing pandemic: separation of VCs and ocaps/zcaps

From: Christopher Lemmer Webber <cwebber@dustycloud.org>
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2020 21:37:45 -0500
To: Dominic W├Ârner <dom.woe@gmail.com>
Cc: Adrian Gropper <agropper@healthurl.com>, Wayne Chang <wyc@fastmail.fm>, Kaliya IDwoman <kaliya-id@identitywoman.net>, public-credentials@w3.org, "Mark S. Miller" <erights@gmail.com>, Alan Karp <alanhkarp@gmail.com>
Christopher Lemmer Webber writes:

> But let's think about why the moving-forward-in-time VM execution is
> separated from the allegations-of-information retrospective that is
> "claims" and "credentials".  And it comes down to this phrase:
>
> Your VM is dumb.

This might be misread as an insult against whatever virtual machine you
think I think you're implementing or using.  It isn't; it's actually
kind of arguing that we embrace this as a feature; the virtual machine
doesn't know about and doesn't care about making
identity-judgement-reasoning calls as it runs.  But things that do can
*hook into* the system, as entry and exit points.

Hope that's clearer.