Re: Question on use of base64 vs base64url in modern specifications

From: Orie Steele <orie@transmute.industries>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 13:48:21 -0500
To: Dmitri Zagidulin <dzagidulin@gmail.com>
Cc: "W3C Credentials CG (Public List)" <public-credentials@w3.org>
for the exceedingly rare cases where someone is reading string
characters... why not make an encoding called
"exceedinlyRareStringEncoding" and require it to come with built in error
correction / checksum, and only use it for cases where you 100% know it
will only be read by humans... that's not how base58 is being used today...

make a new encoding, name it "human readable string encoding 2020" "HuRSE
2020", use the base58 bitcoin alphabet with error correction codes and a
checksum... and don't use it for anything but cases where a human will 100%
be required as the "reader"...

I'm all for a special purpose encoding that is built for human
readability!... just don't tell me that the best way to achieve it is a
special bitcoin alphabet... its vicegrips when what is needed is a socket
wrench... sure you can use vicegrips on everything... but should you?

OS

--
*ORIE STEELE*
Chief Technical Officer