Re: lack of common definition for "ZKP" in a VC context

On 9/4/19 4:12 PM, Daniel Hardman wrote:
> You might say, "Well, what's the difference between ZKPs and
> selective disclosure in that case? Why would you call that a ZKP?"
> And my answer would be: /the ZKP that discloses 2 attributes differs
> from the non-ZKP that discloses the same 2 attributes in whether a
> signature is disclosed./ A ZKP discloses 2 attributes and 0
> signatures (even though the credential behind it has a signature
> over each individual attribute); a non-ZKP discloses 2 attributes and
> 1 signature (or 2 if it supports per-attribute signatures).

The above is the most succinct explanation I've seen of the difference
between ZKP approaches and selective disclosure approaches.

We should put it in the VC implementation guide, under the "Why use
ZKPs?" section. We should probably also outline why that's useful when
revealing two non-identifying attributes, and why that's possibly not
useful when revealing two strongly identifying attributes (SSN + last
name, for example).

https://tinyurl.com/veres-one-launches