Re: Report on the DID Spec call today

On 6/13/19 1:11 PM, =Drummond Reed wrote:
> Dmitri,
>
> I like Markus' litmus test that "If a certain matrix parameter helps
> to construct identifiers (URIs) for something that needs an
> identifier, then that matrix parameter is justified".
I think that might still be too broad. Taken to the extreme, one could
argue we need to create a Turing complete syntax for constructing
identifiers via DID URLs for things that don't have them.

In my view, the purpose of a DID URL is to create a stable reference to
existing information about a specific thing, where the precise location
of that information may change over time because of changes in the DID
Document. It's a pointer.

In this light, there are some use cases for DID URLs that make sense to me:

---

1. Suppose you want to reference some information within a DID Document,
rather than the DID Document itself. If you could assign it an
identifier and include that identifier in a DID URL, you'd have a stable
way to reference it.

Using a DID URL with a fragment addresses this use case (and it is
already a common pattern for other types of resources on the Web), e.g.
did:method:abc123#something.

A processor that handles a DID URL like this would retrieve the DID
Document and then find the resource within it with an `id` that matches
the full DID URL. Again, this is already a common pattern on the Web
today. For example, browsers will fetch HTML files and then direct the
viewport to a specific "anchor" identified by the fragment.

2. Suppose you want to reference what a DID Document looked like at some
point in time or at some version. If you could include that time or
version information in your DID URL, then you could have a stable
reference to how the DID Document looked in the past.

We could use matrix parameters like `version-id` and `version-time` to
address this use case.

3. Suppose you want a stable reference to some information that may move
around on the Web from time to time. If you could create a pointer
within a DID Document that could point at the current location of that
information, then you could reference that pointer's identifier in a DID
URL, thereby creating a stable reference to the information.

The use of services with IDs and endpoints to external resources
(pointers within DID documents) combined with the `service=<service ID>`
matrix parameter can be used to address this use case.

In addition, services that have standardized directory structures and/or
query parameters, etc. can provide an additional portability benefit
through the use of DID URLs. This is because we treat DID URL query
params, etc. as opaque, which means they can "pass through" to whatever
service endpoint is expressed.

---

Where I start to see trouble is with matrix parameters like
"service-type". The only thing that a DID URL with `service-type` and no
additional matrix parameters could refer to is "the list of services of
this type (in the given DID Document)". Furthermore, this is not an
existing resource, but rather one that has to be dynamically
constructed. Is that a valuable thing to refer to or is it itself only a
single parameter to determining what someone is referring to?

I would guess that any use cases for this would be treating it as a
single parameter. In that case, you need another parameter that
indicates how to make a selection from that list or else the reference
would not be stable. Of course, then you're specifying some algorithm to
run that the DID URL processor must understand. This is an unbounded
extensibility problem.

It also seems to me, that, if this sort of matrix parameter were
supported, then there would be no reason not to say that all manner of
combinations of things should be able to be referred to and dynamically
constructed as well. What if I want to refer to the collection of all
keys of type X and services of type Z at version time Y?

Rather, I would think that the use case for selecting a service by type
would involve something *more* than a DID URL. The application should
handle this. If the application is a service then it could use some
other kind of URL like this:

https://example.com?id=<DID>&service-type=xxx&preference=yyy

But this is beyond the scope of DID URLs.

--
Dave Longley
CTO