Re: Agency First

Adrian, while I too support the concept of "Agency First", I just want to
point out that, if one uses the ZKP format of a verifiable credential and
the ZKP credential exchange protocol (currently implemented in Hyperledger
Indy <https://wiki.hyperledger.org/display/indy> and moving to Hyperledger
Aries <https://wiki.hyperledger.org/display/aries> as one of the
supported credential exchange protocols), then I believe your scenario can
be executed far more simply.

   1. Alice forms a peer DID connection (e.g., an exchange of pairwise
   pseudonymous DIDs) with: a) the HIV lab, and b) the dating service. Note
   that if Alice uses ZKPs, *she will never needs to share these DIDs with
   anyone else. *With ZKP credentials, these DIDs are NOT used
   in credential issuance, only in secure communications. (What is shared is a
   blinded link secret that, like the pairwise pseudonymous DID, is never
   shared with any other connection.) So these DIDs can always remain private
   to those connections.
   2. Alice does the HIV lab test and gets back a ZKP credential from the
   lab with her results (let's assume it's negative).
   3. Alice can now use the ZKP credential to prove to the dating service
   (as a verifier) that she has an HIV lab result credential *without*
disclosing
   the result. So the dating service can mark her profile as having a current
   HIV lab result credential.
   4. When Bob and Alice meet via the dating service and form their own
   private connection by exchanging pairwise pseudonymous DIDs, Alice can now
   use the ZKP credential from the HIV lab to prove to Bob that the result is
   negative *without* having to disclose either her pairwise pseudonymous
   DID with the HIV lab or her pairwise pseudonymous DID with the dating
   service. (She can also use proofs of other ZKP credentials to do selective
   disclosure to Bob of other claims about her, e.g., that she has a job,
   college degree, mortgage, etc., without disclosing details including DIDs.)

No "authorization tokens" are involved. The proof of the ZKP credential is
the "token", and because it uses ZKP, preserving privacy gets a whole lot
simpler.

(BTW, this explanation usually begs the question, "How can Bob know that
ZKP credential from the HIV lab really belongs to Alice, i.e., couldn't she
just "borrow" someone else's credential?" It's a great question, and there
are good answers, but too much for me to go into right now.)