Re: what do DIDs identify?

Michael:

I think what you're laying out here does describe my issue with pretty good
overlap. And of course you were one of the bright minds that I spent time
learning from in Basel...

With respect to the notion that a DID is just a character string: I agree
with you quite strongly. However, there is an *association* between the
string and certain semantics, *by definition*. This association is
reflected in rules about how DIDs can be created. The semantic assumptions
are so strong sometimes that they leak into our verbiage in ways we don't
strictly intend. If my verbiage had such leakage, I apologize. My email was
about teasing out different layers of these assumptions, because I don't
think they're monolithic.

I do disagree with one aspect of your characterization: I don't think the
distinction between Actor and Thing is tenable. CF the entity hierarchy in
Sovrin's V1 Trust Framework; it's described here:
https://github.com/hyperledger/indy-hipe/tree/master/text/0014-ssi-notation#entities.
The key insight is that what distinguishes People and Organizations from
Things is not whether they are capable of action (including independent
action, even)--but whether they are the sort of thing that can be held
legally responsible for its actions.

A self-driving car is an actor; it's just one that is owned and operated by
another actor. You could imagine an AI released into the wild with no
controller (e.g., I instruct an AI to rotate its keys so I can never wrest
control back); it would still be a thing, but it would also be an actor.