Re: DIDs available by satellite. A curiosity, an exploration.

Hi Sam,s

I met Jim Cantrell from Stratspace in Tuscon recently. We have known each
other for awhile, and get along well. We both have engineering backgrounds.
He was involved with both generations of the Iridium Network [1],[2]. I
also have been in touch with Kim Hamilton Duffy. She is up for updates and
I assume amusements, but she is quite buried.

I ordered a RTL-SDR. I might also get an Hack-RF clone. The RTL-SDR website
looks like a great place to start [3],[4]. This will require
a bit of a struggle.

Blockstream is a free service worth tinkering with. They have their
satellites in geosynchonous orbit which is unlike Iridium's closer
orbits.

I'm guessing that it would be better to follow an Iridum kind of thinking
to minimize device size. It is not rational to expect
people to carry around bulky hardware if they are going to replace their
wallet and perhaps a Yubikey(TM). I believe you
said something somewhere agreeing with this.

The video that I linked to was Daniel Hardman's talk on Peer DIDs [5]. I'm
sure you will also like the did:key method talk discussed
in today's call. Perhaps it could help move Critical Use Cases for Offline
Credentials forward?

I may have some overlap with the Verifiable Driving Event Data Chain in
your RWoT Barcelona paper.

Tyler Ruff's Verifiable Credentials 101 talk helps a lot with understanding
how Issuer, Holder, and Verifier play together [6].

I am not sure how public keys, DIDs, and DID documents play together. Is it
possible to get a DID document from decoding the base58 string?
What is the relation of the DID and public key?

"Creating a did:key value consists of creating a cryptographic key pair and
encoding the public key using the format provided in Section 2. The did:key
Format <https://digitalbazaar.github.io/did-method-key/#format>. The
creation of a DID Document is also performed by taking the public key value
and expanding it into DID Document. An example is given below that expands
the ed25519 did:key did:key:z6MkpTHR8VNsBxYAAWHut2Geadd9jSwuBV8xRoAnwWsdvktH
into its associated DID Document" [6]

What about a verifiable credential that only needs to see a public ledger
if it has not been seen before or is not in the "database"?

[1] ,[2] : https://www.iridium.com/,
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2018/03/iridium-next-5-satellites-spacex-falcon-9
<https://www.iridium.com/>
[3],[4] :