Re: Datashards and Secure Data Hubs... how to achieve convergence?

Let’s consider the prescription use-case we maintain as part of the HIE of
One self-sovereign tech stack. We need to:
- control and share signed data
- encrypt the data as much as practical
- all parties keep archival copies in case of dispute
- revoke the data (prescription) when an inspector decides (dispenses).

Would we code the prescription into a Verifiable Credential or a Datashard
or a combination?

Let’s assume the doctor (issuer) uses her DID wallet to:
- hold a credential acceptable to the pharmacist (inspector1), and
- to sign the prescription in an accountable way (inspector2).

The patient wants to shop the prescription to various pharmacies (based on
their public pricing), keep it private unless a dispute arises, and have
the flexibility of transacting with the pharmacist online or in-person.

What’s the preferred way to manage routing to a particular pharmacy and
then revocation if and when a pharmacist dispenses the prescription? Is the
solution different for VC vs. Datashard?

Adrian

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 9:37 AM Christopher Lemmer Webber <
cwebber@dustycloud.org> wrote:

> As promised, here's that rant.  It's not actually all that ranty.  ;)
>
> So having seen Datashards and DB's work on Secure Data Shards, and
> knowing that I occasionally contract for DB, you might think that maybe
> DB also had something to do with Datashards.  That's not the case, other
> than that I've been trying to convince them of the ideas for the last
> few years (we do talk a lot, but I haven't been paid for any work at all
> in this area).  Over time we've come closer, but our work has happened
> seperately, and we keep checking in and seeing that we come to many of
> the same conclusions for different reasons, but not all of them.  So the
> ideas are close, but they aren't yet aligned.  I hope at RWoT we can get
> some better convergence.
>
> There is one major difference that, in truth, barely matters (except
> that it kind of does):
>
>  - A difference in how data is serialized.  We can discuss this, it's
>    not too important though.  It's easy enough to get convergence on
>    this issue.
>
> There are also several things that I used to argue for that we've
> already come to convergence on:
>
>  - The need for symmetric encryption on content-addressed content
>    (well, at least we agree it's needed for some things; I'll argue
>    for all CAS things later)
>  - The need to chunk content into 32kb chunks
>
> Yay, convergence!
>
> Then there are several different differences which actually matter:
>
>  - Datashards not only specifies an immutable system, but also a mutable
>    system that layers on top of the immutable data.  The design is
>    mostly taken from Tahoe-LAFS (which has done almost everything right
>    except for making their system ~universal in a way that can be
>    applicable on the web... in Tahoe you have to run things on specific
>    clusters).
>
>  - Datashards has two universal URI schemas that can exist *outside* of
>    a data hub.  idsc: is for immutable data, mdsc: is for mutable data.
>    This is, I would argue, a nice feature.  You can use these for
>    everything you would normally put an https: link; this includes
>    json-ld contexts and linking to cat photos and all sorts of things.
>    (This is what I mean by Datashards building "universal web
>    primitives".)
>
>  - Datashards can exist *anywhere*.  You can put them on a usb key, you
>    can stick them in a key-value web store, whatever.  I'm arguing that
>    Secure Data Hubs are a good idea, except that they should just be
>    "a common web interface to store your Datashards".  That's a big
>    feature because then you have a URI so you can refer to those same
>    objects univerally, the same way you an refer to an http uri, etc.
>
>  - I think DB isn't yet convinced that we need symmetric encryption for
>    *all* content-addressed content.  Again, I refer you to the podcast
>    for why this is, but I think that content-addressed peer to peer
> [...]

Adrian Gropper MD

PROTECT YOUR FUTURE - RESTORE Health Privacy!
HELP us fight for the right to control personal health data.
DONATE: https://patientprivacyrights.org/donate-3/