Re: JSON-LD vs JWT for VC

On 10/27/2018 02:46 PM, Dean Kevin Poulsen wrote:
> JWS isn’t compatible with Linked Data (at least, it's not
> practical).

Linked Data Signatures use JWS detached signatures as the encoding.

I understand that those that are not down in the details probably don't
know about this, but to say that they're not compatible is just plain
not true.

To be clear, Linked Data Signatures definitely *do support* JWS today
and have for some time. We *could support* JWK as well, but there seems
to be consensus towards moving to COSE as that's what all the new specs
seem to be doing (e.g. WebAuthn). So, you may see a mass migration from
JWS to COSE Signatures and COSE Keys soon (which are intended to be
JWS/JWK compatible).

> Is no one using these signed JSON formats?  Have these issues not
> been encountered already?

There are many organizations using these formats and it depends on what
"issues" you're talking about. Some of them are identified and the
communities are actively working on them. Some of them are
misunderstandings around how the technology works.

> We need a viable signed JSON-LD format now, not 3 years from now.
> What’s currently out there isn’t viable.

We're shipping to customers with it. It is in the early days of getting
the tooling out to folks, but this is normal for new technology
development.

In any case, happy to help anyone that's currently having problems...
but in order for that to happen, folks have to engage on specific
technical problems via the mailing list.

https://tinyurl.com/veres-one-launches