Re: JWT credentials

Hi Carlos,
The main write-up I've seen is the bulleted list in this section:
https://github.com/WebOfTrustInfo/rebooting-the-web-of-trust-fall2016/blob/master/topics-and-advance-readings/blockchain-extensions-for-linked-data-signatures.md#json-normalized-clear-text-signatures

I'll paste them here:

   - JWTs cannot be natively stored in document-based storage engines (like
   MongoDB and CouchDB) without decoding them, which removes the digital
   signature information
   - JWTs cannot be nested within each other easily, requiring multiple
   nested base-64 encodings with duplicated data to support nested signatures
   - JWTs do not easily support multi-signature schemes, meaning that they
   can't be chained together without duplicating the data for each chained
   signature
   - JWTs are not JSON, which most developers expect when publishing,
   consuming, and working with data. While it's true that you can base-64
   decode the data, you then lose the signature and have to track it through
   some other means if the signed object in question needs to be transmitted
   to a remote system.
   - You cannot express Linked Data in a syntax-agnostic way and are forced
   to create a signature on a JSON-LD document, which binds the signature to
   the JSON-LD syntax rather than making the signature more syntax agnostic.

Despite all of this, they are still widely used, and so (I believe it's
still there) the VC data model mentions how to support them.

I'm interested in all of this from an interoperability perspective, which
is why I'm hoping to refresh discussion on this point.

thanks,
Kim

--
Kim Hamilton Duffy
CTO & Principal Architect Learning Machine

kim@learningmachine.com