Re: Call for Focal DID Use Cases

I promised Joe an EDU DID use case by EOW (last week). I did not do that,
and I still did not finish one. But, I started one here and wanted to share
in case it helps others start theirs.

I hope to fill in more detail before tomorrow's meeting.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KfdDBfgYyziigspyITTvbWABzF00MbA4pHyf_rf3XSI/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks,
Kim

On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 12:09 PM Joe Andrieu <joe@joeandrieu.com> wrote:

> TLDR: Nominate your favorite DID use case for inclusion in the DID Use
> Case document
>
> On today's call we started the conversation about what use cases to
> include in the support document for chartering a new working group for
> Decentralized Identifiers.
>
> This is your chance to make a case for the most relevant use case DIDs.
>
> If you have one you'd like to suggest, simple send the list an email with
> some or all of the following:
>
> *Name *-- A pithy name that captures the relevance of the use case
> *Background *-- A sentence or three capturing current state of practice,
> the motivation, and the value it creates
> *Description *-- A paragraph capturing the core action of the use case:
> what people do
> *Sticky Wicket *-- A sentence or three capturing the awkward challenge in
> this particular situation
> *Distinction *-- A brief phrase explaining what makes this use case
> distinct
>
> What makes a good use case?
>
> A good use case is one that is:
> A. *Unique* -- minimal overlap with other use cases
> B. *Relevant* -- highlights the particular value of DIDs
> C. *Value Creating* -- there is demonstrable value to the people at the
> heart of the use case
> D. *Simple yet Sticky* -- simple enough to be accessible, but also
> captures a potentially complicated edge case.
> E. *Specific *-- Uses real names and real situations to help readers
> empathize with the human requirements
>
> For D, it's great when the basic functionality is straightforward and we
> fold in a question of "but what if..." and illustrate how DIDs handle a
> particular real-world problem better than existing approaches.
>
> Here's an example Use Case for DIDs:
>
> *Name*: Digital Executor
>
> *Background*: Today, when people die, there are no standard technologies
> for heirs, executors, or probate courts to properly take control of an
> individual's online accounts and digital assets. With a DID linked to
> accounts and assets, a DID owner could define a trigger for a third party
> to assume control over the DID Document. Ideally, this trigger would
> specify (a) an oracle (how to know the death/incapacity occurred), (b) a
> means for the new owner to assert control, and (c) appropriate checks and
> accountability.
>
> *Description*: Kathy uses DIDs to manage her authentications to various
> services. As part of her estate planning, she generates a unique credential
> that she gives to her attorney, Gloria, with provisions specified in her
> will, which initially lists Mike as the digital executor. With appropriate
> obfuscation, that credential is specified in multiple DID documents as a
> probate authority, with the authorization to change the master key in case
> of death, which shall be recorded publicly, on chain, as a notarized
> invocation of the probate authority. As it happens, Kathy had a falling out
> [...]
Kim Hamilton Duffy
CTO & Principal Architect Learning Machine
Co-chair W3C Credentials Community Group
400 Main Street Building E19-732, Cambridge, MA 02139

kim@learningmachine.com | kimhd@mit.edu
425-652-0150 | LearningMachine.com