Re: Call for Focal DID Use Cases

On 06/01/2018 03:37 PM, Jordan, John CITZ:EX wrote:
> I don’t think we need a single identifier like we have been trying to
> unsuccessfully have in some places for years. I feel like those
> numbers are a bad side effect of centralized database primary keys.

Agreed.

> I think the reason I am quite resistant to a single identifier (if
> that is what is being contemplated) for an organization is that in
> the real world stuff happens.

It was not what was being contemplated nor proposed, but I can see how
one could interpret the use case as such, so we should make it clear
that organizations/entities are expected to have more than one DID.

I said an "Organization gets a DID"... that doesn't mean its the /only
DID/ the organization has.

This group has identified the "single long lived identifier / single
entity" (e.g. SSN, DUNS, email address for identification) design as a
privacy concern in the VC spec here:

https://w3c.github.io/vc-data-model/#identifier-based-correlation

and here:

https://w3c.github.io/vc-data-model/#long-lived-identifier-based-correlation

We list the "desirable ecosystem characteristics" that we want here:

https://w3c.github.io/vc-data-model/#use-cases-and-requirements

So the change that needs to be made to the Decentralized Corporate
Identifiers use case is:

Clarify that organizations will have more than one DID, typically scoped
appropriately to the interactions that they will perform using the DID.

blog: The State of W3C Web Payments in 2017
http://manu.sporny.org/2017/w3c-web-payments/