Re: Use Case: Transaction Identification (travel use cases)

The use of Verifiable Credentials and selective disclosure should address a
large part of this use case. The purpose of the disclosure will limit the
amount of information handed across to the those asking - e.g. the classic
example of the bartender needing only to know that you have proof from a
trusted issuer that you are old enough to drink (picture, checkmark, ID of
trusted issuer).  In some of the contexts of this use case, the Verifier
only needs to know that you have ID issued from a trusted source, not the
details.  That eliminates much of the overly shared PII.  Further - such
organizations would have a liability in holding that PII.

In the specific case, I think that the some information is collected by
Innkeepers (to use a quaint term) for correlation by Authorities - e.g. you
provide the ID from your passport or driver's licence so they know where
you were (which is crazy, but...moving on). Payment by a Credit Card is the
same thing - you need to provide the identifier by which the Credit Card
company knows you so you can charge something to your account. However,
those scenarios can be mitigated with Verifiable Credentials by the Issuer
(gov't, credit card company, etc.) providing you with one-time use VerCreds
with a GUID that only they can correlate to their internal identifier for
you. The intermediary can do nothing with that information. Apple Pay and
Google Pay are using one time use Credit Card numbers today.

Once we get a rich Verifiable Credential ecosystem, the use of a well-known
Identifier (e.g. an SSN, Credit Card Number) will not be accepted without
proof that it was issued to you.  Such identifiers will still be Bad Things
(correlate-able), but not useful to malicious parties.

--

Stephen Curran
Cloud Compass Computing, Inc. (C3I)

*Cell: (250) 857-109Schedule a Meeting: **https://calendly.com/swcurran