Re: [AGENDA] W3C Credentials CG Call Tue, July 10, 12 noon ET, 9 AM PT

On 2018-07-07 7:19 PM, Kim Hamilton Duffy wrote:

> 8. uPort DID Proposal (35 minutes)
>     -
> https://medium.com/uport/a-complete-list-of-uports-protocols-libraries-and-solutions-63e9b99b9fd6
>     - Topics
>        - Description of changes
>        - Any difficulties with DID method spec implementation?
>        - uPort DID method spec status

I note that at that link, uPort uses "DID" to mean "Decentralized
Identity" -- rather than "Decentralized Identifier", which the
Credentials Community Group uses (https://w3c-ccg.github.io/did-spec/)

And at the ethr-did library spec
(https://github.com/uport-project/ethr-did), which uPort is based on,
I find both used, as if they're interchangeable. For example, in the
sentence:

"This library is intended to use Ethereum addresses as fully self
managed Decentralized Identifiers (DIDs) and lets you easily create
and manage keys for these identities."

It looks like the unrolling of 'DID' may be doomed to contain people
who like to use DID meaning 'identifier', people who like to use it to
mean 'identity', and people who don't seem to care and use them
interchangeably.

Is that a fair assessment of the current situation?

Steven