Re: Transfer of followers - a very interesting question and a major use case for DID standard.

Markus, I beg to differ that this use case is out of scope for DID standard.

Before I go to explain why, I have a proposal to classify DID use cases
like this:

   1. Any use case where DID can be used is a valid use case for DID spec =
   **Minimal DID use case**
   2. Use case that has broad applicability, considerable impact on the
   Internet + Point 1 = **Good DID use case**
   3. Use cases where DIDs usage provides more security, privacy over CIDs
   (Centralized Identifiers)  usage + Point 2 = **Great DID use case**
   4. Use case  where DIDs usage enables new, better functionality over
   CIDs + Point 2 + Point 3 = **Awesome DID use case**
   5. Use case that is applicable in the current real world + Point 2 +
   Point 3 + Point 4  = **Majestic DID use case**

"Transfer of Followers" use case definitely meets point 1 and 2. I also
think that this use case indirectly meets the 3rd criteria.
As I put in the paragraph about "Real World Dimension" in the first email,
most people use "Base Identity" to log in into different services. Hence,
this Base Identity is very important, hence it should be Self-Sovereign,
hence it should be based on DIDs.
One can say, that this use case is a derivative of Base Identity use case,
but because of its importance, I think it should be described independently.

I think your ideas that the list of followers should be independent of
a specific
> service, and that your followers (or social graph) should be fully
> portable, align very well with SSI.

One, clarification to this - I think that followers should be portable, but
I do not think that followers should be independent from a specific
service. I am not sure if we need to use lists of followers in the real
world. Followers are context specific. My followers on SoundCloud are not
the same as my followers on Twitter. As a user of SounCloud, I want to have
a simple way to say to my followers on there - "Hey, follow me on Spotify
now. Here is a button to do this in 1-click.". I do not think it is a good
idea to handle this use case by creating Lists of Followers and somehow
contacting them independently of services, where these followers follow me.
This would require new UX, local applications >> too big mental load >> not
practical in the real world.

My proposal to handle "Transfer of Followers" use case is to enable
functionality to invite followers from one service to another,  in the real
world within the current Internet services as easy as possible.

In the real world, on the example of Spotify and Soundcloud, it will mean -
Spotify should have legally enforced ability to have access to SoundCloud
API, in order to be able to provide me functionality to invite all my
SoundCloud followers to Spotify. When I make this invitation on Spotify
(obviously Spotify will be very interested to provide this functionality to
me) all my followers on SoundCloud should receive clear message "Hey I am
on Spotify now. Follow me there. Here is 1-click button to do this.". To
make such invitations as easy as possible, we will probably need to do it
by employing Base Identities which people use to log in everywhere, anyway.

To some extent this use case can even meet criteria 4 and 5 ("to some
extent" because this use case can be achieved with CIDs and to make it
feasible we need new competition law for this), making it almost a
**Majestic DID use case**.

Bohdan

P.S. Not sure, if my selection of adjectives to classify DID use cases is
W3C compatible))) Feel free to propose better names.