DIF/W3C member attribution issue

Hey folks,

I just wanted to address a thread about credit for work and PR activities I saw on the ML.

Just so you all know:

  *   We haven't coordinated a single PR event other than our initial org launch, people retweeting our DIF Medium posts, and some rando Twitter messages.
  *   We don't have a "PR machine" (in fact, we barely even talk about public displays/messaging)
  *   We've never, to my knowledge, tried/intended to take credit for Decentralized Identifiers, beyond the fact some folks in the group (myself included) attend calls and contribute to the effort
  *   If a member of DIF doesn't attribute something to your liking, I can 100% guarantee it is not some sort of DIF, MSFT, or IBM conspiracy (if you knew me, you would know I am being honest when I tell you this)
  *   In our only 'official' content I am aware of that mentions DIDs, it just says we're contributing reference implementations, or that we're big fans and using the spec in our other technical work:
     *   http://identity.foundation/working-groups - our site says "W3C DID Spec" and links to (what I hope) is the best/latest draft on the W3C CCG repo
     *   https://slides.com/danielbuchner/decentralized-identity-foundation - our slides list DIDs as a key technology, along with things like Chainpoint, which we've also never claimed to own or be the originators of
     *   https://medium.com/decentralized-identity/the-rising-tide-of-decentralized-identity-2e163e4ec663 - again, our initial blog post just lists it as a key technology we're using for reference implementations (the Universal DID Resolver, for example)

Please come to me or others to address issues you may have. We value your work greatly - it's absolutely essential to the other things we want to build - so don't assume the worst.

- Daniel

On a personal note: I spent half a decade at Mozilla, and even longer participating in W3C groups, so it hurts to read about how people think I and MSFT are conspiring to harm standards efforts I am personally pushing hard for in our company and externally. I have prided myself as always being above board, honest, and probably one of the most anti-corp/crony people you'll ever meet, so just consider that next time you talk about MSFT's role in all this.