Re: DID Key Management Harmonization Proposal #1

On 2018-01-11 6:49 AM, Manu Sporny wrote:
> On 01/10/2018 05:02 PM, Steven Rowat wrote:
>> This seemed logical and interesting.
>
> I have some fairly strong reservations about the proposal as it falls
> into the same "Bag of X" standardization anti-pattern that I mentioned
> previously. Please also see the response to Christian as better
> alternatives are outlined there.

Thank you Manu for the comprehensive reply, and after reading it, and
also your reply to Christian, I believe I understand better the
drawbacks of Sam's suggestion. But I still have one major issue in
understanding the DID Method system (as I explain at the end of this
email).

>> 3. Sam's suggestion implies that each DID Document will be modified
>> to contain DID Method files in a folder at root level.
>
> Hmm, kinda, but not really.
>
> Each DID Document would be modified to contain one DID Method-specific
> property at the root level. For example:

Thanks for the clarification, and I apologize for my incorrect
terminology. I believe  I really did understand that what is put into
the root level was code, ie, a 'property'. I just called it files and
folders for some reason that's perhaps related to my world being
mostly at desktop level since 1986.  ;-)

>> 5. In either case, does the need for the DID Method files inside the
>> DID Document  imply that a person's DID Document will need permanent
>> changes for all the other ledgers it might encounter on the Internet,
>> such as Evernym, Sovrin, Bitcoin, and eventually hundreds of others?
>
> DID Documents are not portable between ledgers at present. There are
> parts of DID Documents that are processable using generalized libraries
> (that's one of the primary goals we're trying to accomplish).
>
> So, if you want to authenticate using information in a DID Document,
> there are common ways to do it across multiple ledgers.

You state: "DID Documents are not portable between ledgers at
present". I'm unsure of the implications of this. It seems to imply
that each ledger will issue its own DID Document in all cases, at
least at present. Is this true?

To go back to my example of the 10 donors and 50 recipients:
You confirmed that there would be 60 DID Documents, in order for my
Local Ledger to operate. But if one of those people also interacts
with Sovrin, and Bitcoin, and other ledgers, will that person also
have a new DID Document for each of those?

In other words, if you, Manu, are going to have dealings with the
Sovrin Ledger and the Bitcoin ledger and the Estonia ledger and the
Veres One ledger, are you going to have four Manu DID Documents, one
for each ledger? Or just one Manu Sporny DID Document, and each of
those ledgers reads and uses it?

Steven