Re: Bag of Data Anti-pattern

On 01/04/2018 05:36 PM, Adrian Gropper wrote:
> Before I comment further, it would be useful to have a specific
> implementation in mind.

I don't know if a specific implementation is helpful as there are LOTS
of companies implementing biometrics of all kinds (fingerprint, iris,
eye capillary, face image, palm vein, infrared dot pattern, thermal,
etc.)... and the more useful thing to do would be to pull some
generalities to understand the sorts of data that one would need to
express, but as we discussed on the call, all of that is out of scope
for this discussion. We just need a clear story on where the biometric
templates go and then we can stop the discussion there.

That said, here's a big list of biometrics companies:

http://www.biometricupdate.com/biometric-companies

and three specific companies/implementations:

https://www.veridiumid.com/biometric-authentication/biometric-authentication-solutions/

https://cmusatyalab.github.io/openface/

https://www.iproov.com/what-we-do

> The IEEE links seem short of being either a use-case or an openly
> accessible standard.

It's not a use case (rather a set of them and a set of standards that
meet the use case needs). Versions of the IEEE Biometrics Open Protocol
(2010-2017) has existed for several years (at least 5+, I think). It's a
pay for access standard ($72 for the PDF), and there are companies that
are compliant with it (one of which has attended RWoT and IIW events).
Yes, pay for access is not ideal, but $72 isn't expensive either.

> You mentioned one company on today's call. Can you share that or
> some other example?

While I can't share exact details/customers, I can point to several
organizations that have products in the space and the standards that are
accessible for small fees (see above).

blog: The State of W3C Web Payments in 2017
http://manu.sporny.org/2017/w3c-web-payments/