Re: [Long] Request Opinion on DID Documents and “SANC” (proposed nested publishing system)

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 9:16 AM, Steven Rowat <steven_rowat@sunshine.net>
wrote:

> On 2018-02-19 11:44 PM, =Drummond Reed wrote:
>
>> Steven, I caught this just before bed, so a few quick thoughts:
>>
>>  1. Using DIDs to identified works produced by an author (what you
>>     call SANCs) is indeed a classic example of what DIDs are designed for.
>>  2. It can work exactly as you describe, with every SANC getting its
>>     own DID and DID document.
>>

> Thank you, that's very helpful and what I'd hoped.
>
>  3. However given the closely related nature of some of the SANCs you
>>     describe, many of them that are logically related *could* also be
>>     described with DID service URL (see the DID Spec Completion
>>     Proposals
>>     <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aR8V_JUJdq1Sbi47wCV5aa-
>> dEY0e-V2RqwPNP5ci1bg/edit#>
>>     for details). This is basically a path rooted on a DID. The only
>>     real difference is that all the SANCs you described don't
>>     necessarily need their own DIDs and DID documents. But they do
>>     need to be rooted on a DID that the author controls.
>>

> This is also helpful and interesting.
> I had looked at the DID Spec Completion Proposals, but I was out of my
> depth there and became confused. I've looked at it again, and still don't
> understand (for starters):
>
> What's the difference between a "DID Service URL" and a "Target URL"?

The DID service URL is a URL rooted on the DID itself. This means the DID
must be resolved to a DID document in order to then discover what service
endpoint URL to use to locate the actual resource being addressed. A DID
service URL must then be mapped to the target URL where you can retrieve
the identified resource.

In the examples in the DID Spec Completion Proposals document, the
following DID service URL:

* did:example:123456789abcdefghi;fooservice/some/path/here?query#fragIs
mapped to the following target URL:
https://example.com/endpoint/8377464/some/path/here?query#frag
<https://example.com/endpoint/8377464/some/path/here?query#frag>*

> It looks to me like I might express it like this, for my SANC system (just
> a stab in the dark):
> The DID Service URL gives a path to a resource (ie, to one of the SANCs,
> by name and identifier) but doesn't actually go as far as where that SANC
> physically be retrieved from. In other words, the DID Service URL can
> resolve information about the SANC, but not get the SANC itself.
>
> The Target URL takes the final step of providing a resolvable URL that
> will get the SANC itself.
>
> Am I groping in the right direction here?

Yes. Specifically the steps proceed as follows:

   1. First, the DID is extracted from the DID service URL.
   2. Secondly, the DID is resolved by a DID resolver into the DID document.
   3. Thirdly, the correct service description object is selected from the
   array of service description objects in the DID document using the service
   name in the DID service URL.
   4. Fourth, the service endpoint URL is extracted from the selected service
   description object.
   5. Lastly, the path (and query and/or fragment) from the DID service URL
   is appended to the service endpoint URL to compose the target URL.

Now the target URL can be used to get the SANC itself.

=Drummond