DID Docs stored on or off the ledger? ... was Re: DNS -> DIDs

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 12:21 PM, Stephen Curran <swcurran@cloudcompass.ca>
wrote:

> I think the model that some networks are moving to is for most DID Docs to
> be held between the communicating parties, and not pushed out to a public
> ledger.

Is this really the case? Which of the ledgers are moving in this direction?
And if so, I'm curious why?
And also if so, can you please point me to documentation.

> Anyone that needs to resolve the DID -> DIDDoc must be able to in some
> local manner (implementation specific), and there must be mechanisms to
> push changes from one party to the other.

But the whole point of putting the DID and DID Doc on the ledger is so they
are always available. It seems counterintuitive to put the DID but not the
DID Doc on the ledger. There is no PII in the DID Doc (just a #, the
public/private key, and any endpoint links)....

> Those same mechanisms are need for updating the DIDDoc when it is on a
> public ledger.  So, that does to some degree help with preventing
> correlation - there is not an obvious way to get the list of DIDs in active
> use for indexing and searching.  In that model, the DIDs that do go on the
> public ledger are ones that people want known - e.g a public DID for an
> Enterprise to be used to start connections.

This seems like making this way more complex than is necessary - in
response to my question about the black arts of correlation via watching
data flows vs capturing the actual data. I wasn't saying we have to solve
for that extremely crazy corner case, I was curious if it maps to that
similar problem...

> Net traffic can be monitored going into and out of a "known endpoint" such
> as an Agency (holding many Agents) or a Hub. The plans I have seen on the
> HyperLedger Indy side are that data will be encrypted in transit - no
> plaintext - and that because the endpoint is shared by all Agents (e.g.
> many identities, each with many DIDs), it will be difficult to learn from
> just seeing the 'Net traffic.

Yeah, but the endpoint is also stored in the DID Doc, and all the PII data
is stored in the wallet, or agent, or hub, or whatever cloud thing or
hardware thing you've decided to use.

So why/how would it make sense to NOT store the DID Doc on the ledger?