Da: Carlos Bruguera <cbruguera@gmail.com>
Inviato: mercoledì 1 agosto 2018 09:57
A: W3C Credentials CG (Public List) <public-credentials@w3.org>
Oggetto: Integration with traditional PKI schemes

Hello everyone, I have a question with regard to "traditional" PKI such as x.509 certificates. Much is said about DID/credentials as a substitute or alternative to such hierarchical and centralized approachs, however, I think it's more realistic envisioning the two "worlds" somehow integrating, meaning that the DID ecosystem should provide means to incorporate such centralized or federated technologies into it. That would definitely make its adoption a matter of practical and low-friction transition, instead of total "disruption".

Is there any literature, ongoing work or specific aspect of the present DID/credential development that allows an entity to utilize x.509 certificates as verificable credentials within the decentralized ecosystem?

Regards,

Carlos