Re: When to use pair-wise unique DIDs vs. just individual unique DIDs

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 8:54 AM, Challener, David C. <
David.Challener@jhuapl.edu> wrote:

> ​Let me add some questions, as I think this is a good conversation:

David, these are excellent questions, as they begin to explore how
a decentralized social networking service could really work.

> Alice wants to find out where her high school reunion will be - she has
> not been in touch with most of these people for decades.
>
> (Facebook knows a lot about you and can make suggestions of people you may
> know)

While it's true that nothing beats a giant centralized global database for
indexing and inferring relationships, I can at least point out how such
a database can start becoming decentralized if there a standard protocol
for doing this.

   1. Alice's high school (or some other group that the members of her
   class trust) publishes a public DID for her class (yes, groups can have
   DIDs). This DID is serviced by Alice's "high school class agent".
   2. Alice and all her classmates create pairwise pseudonymous DIDs with
   the high school class agent (perhaps after having been issued a verifiable
   credential of class membership from the high school).
   3. The high school class agent exposes an introduction service to all
   the members.
   4. Now every member of her class can selectively discover and connect to
   other members (again, with their own pairwise pseudonymous DIDs) with MUCH
   greater privacy and control that Facebook.

And remember, now every single relationship that is formed belongs to those
parties to the relationship and NOT to Facebook or any other service
provider. For life (or as long as the parties want the relationship—either
party can sever it at any time).

> Alice wants to contact someone she used to know and offer them a job - but
> doesn't know their current email or address. (A quick search on Facebook
> may find them.)

Yes, again, I don't see self-sovereign identity and pairwise pseudonymous
DIDs directly replacing search services. However with the new
"social infrastructure" of pairwise pseudonymous connecttions we're
describing here (probably a better term than "social network" since that
always sounds centralized), Alice's agent could contact any of her
connection's agents (with permisson) to see if they have a connection with
that person she used to know. And if so, one of them could make a trusted
introduction.

The software to do that would work very much like a decentralized search
service—rather than spidering the Web to bring all the connections back to
the search service's central index, it would actually search the
connections and just report back if it found the one you were looking for.

Hope this helps,

=Drummond