I think there is more than one economic model and that there need not be a zero sum game in terms of the incentives for why organizations might participate in an SSI ecosystem. There could be a number of different models that all together form a rich fabric of incentives for a full digital ecosystem.
For example, government (which I work for), underpins the economy by being the source of truth for identity (both persons and legal entities) and setting the ground rules (e.g. laws) for economic activity. Our incentives are quite different and not a source of revenue but an enabling prerequisite to a functioning economy. I would encourage the community to think broadly about this and recognize that we need to keep working at creating conditions which encourage the full participation of government in the establishment of digital trust for people and legal entities which, in my personal opinion, is strongly needed.

John

On 2018-04-09, 6:02 AM, "Manu Sporny" <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

    On 04/09/2018 03:56 AM, Dennis Yurkevich wrote:
    > What are the economic incentives for implementers to store DIDs
    > forever?

    Fundamentally, nothing is free and these decentralized systems need
    money to operate. In every one of these systems, nodes are compensated
    for participating in the network on an ongoing basis. Fundamentally, if
    you run a node, money goes into your bank account. That's the economic
    incentive.

    > What stops method implementers not creating centralised and non SSI
    > systems?

    Nothing can stop that. The only thing the standards provide for is that
    if such a system were to be built, it will be technically interoperable
    with the larger system (but would lack some of the decentralized
    characteristics that those of us in this community would like to see).
    Market forces may doom such a centralized DID Method, but that happens
    in the future... which is hard to predict. :)

    https://tinyurl.com/veres-one-launches