Re: JSON Pointers, References and Templates

Hi Adam,
  I think it would be fine to still use `$ref`, although it would be good
to get JSON Schema specification editor Austin Wright's opinion on that as
he's the one who introduced the restriction.

In my view (as the other, slightly later-to-the-party JSON Schema
specification editor) is that we are just imposing restrictions on how it
is used within the `application/schema+json` media type, which doesn't say
anything about other media types, including `application/json` or
`application/ld+json`.

`$ref` in the original JSON Reference sense is used in a number of places
outside of JSON Schema, and I wouldn't particularly expect those other
projects to stop.

I don't have too strong of an opinion on this, though.  My focus right now
is getting the next JSON Hyper-Schema draft out the door in a form that is
clear enough to produce real implementations and a conformance test suite.

thanks,
-henry

--

   -