W3C Credentials Community Group name and mission statement

From: Kim Hamilton Duffy <kim@learningmachine.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2017 02:39:15 +0000
To: "public-vc-wg@w3.org" <public-vc-wg@w3.org>, public-webpayments-ig@w3.org
Cc: "W3C Credentials CG (Public List)" <public-credentials@w3.org>, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>, Christopher Allen <ChristopherA@blockstream.com>
Hi Verifiable Claims WG and Web Payments IG members,

The Credentials CG revisited our name and mission statement because of a
concern raised by other working groups, which was that the Credentials CG
may be confused with existing W3C efforts such as Web App Spec, Web Auth,
and the Web Crypto group. This is an update on where we are.

We've decided to keep the name as "Credentials Community Group" and clarify
our meaning of "Credential" in the mission statement. The new mission
statement is available here: https://www.w3.org/community/credentials/ and
copied at the end of this email.

We are checking with this group to ensure there are no objections to the
name of the CG as well as the mission. Thank you, and please let us know if
you have any concerns.

Best regards,
Kim Hamilton Duffy & Christopher Allen, co-chairs

*Updated mission statement*

The mission of the W3C Credentials Community Group is to explore the
creation, storage, presentation, verification, and user control of
credentials. We focus on a verifiable credential (a set of claims) created
by an issuer about a subject—a person, group, or thing—and seek solutions
inclusive of approaches such as: self-sovereign identity; presentation of
proofs by the bearer; data minimization; and centralized, federated, and
decentralized registry and identity systems. Our tasks include drafting and
incubating Internet specifications for further standardization and
prototyping and testing reference implementations.

--
Kim Hamilton Duffy
CTO & Principal Architect Learning Machine

kim@learningmachine.com | kimhd@mit.edu
425-652-0150 | LearningMachine.com