Re: "Identity"

On Wed, 31 May 2017 at 11:43 Joe Andrieu <joe@joeandrieu.com> wrote:

> Right. I didn't suggest otherwise, Tim.  We shouldn't be trying to "solve
> identity". We're in agreement on that.

I care deeply about solving the identity problem, i'm just very much aware
that this group is not geared to do that.  It's geared to work on some of
the more important counterparts of identity as it is applied to trade;
verifiable claims, or a form of identity constituent.

> I asked that we find a way to contain identity conversations without
> demonizing the term.
>
> In particular, if we can't coherently discuss how verifiable claims affect
> privacy and identity, we will be creating exactly the kinds of systems that
> are feared by those opposed to cross-domain identifiers. That opposition
> will then have even more fuel to oppose any proposed specifications.

Not just privacy, but also 'terms of trade' as is applied to the 'subject'
or 'recipient' of these 'identity constituents' produced by 'persona ficta'
actors.

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webpayments/2014Jul/0043.html
= crickets, years later.

> As you say, "verifiable claims form a constituent of what identity is for
> living things and other actors". That's right.

Yes. IMHO, they're identity constituents.  But their only part of a broader
'identity lifecycle' framework / solution.  Was always part of my thinking;
and that indeed, re: WebID former works - the Creds works to be a very
important element of the identity framework requirements needed for humans.

> If we can't discuss that coherently, we are doing ourselves and the
> community a disservice.

unsure what to do about it really.  looking at ISOC related methods,
alongside some IEEE related stuff also. I'm very concerned that my works
over the years, directed towards providing the means in which vulnerable
humans may have made available to them digital evidence pertaining to
circumstances undertaken by way of computerised systems that they felt
harmed their wellbeing or that of their loved ones;  that these qualities
are not part of the use-cases deemed a priority (or even worth considering
seriously).

I am deeply concerned that the commercial focus will lead to an increasing
set of characteristics that grow to become an internet based replacement to
the older 'iron shackles' we put around the slaves neck;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKOk4Y4inVY&feature=youtu.be&t=17m28s