Re: Terminology poll

On 06/26/2017 06:00 PM, David Chadwick wrote:

> On 26/06/2017 16:59, Dave Longley wrote:
>> A potential problem with claimant is that the entity that actually
>> makes the claim is the issuer.
>
> You are misinterpreting the word 'makes' in your sentence above. In
> the various dictionary definitions of claimant, 'makes a claim' is
> used to denote 'asking for something', not 'manufacturing' or
> 'producing' a claim, which is your semantic

Yes, I suppose it is true that the claimant is usually making a claim
*for themselves* (or specifically for their own benefit). I do remain
convinced, however, that there would be confusion by using this term. I
also don't think that abandoning the term "claim" as a means by which to
mitigate that confusion is really workable given its proliferation, the
history of the group, and the politics involved in adopting that term in
the first place.

It seems it would be much simpler to choose a different term for the role.

--
Dave Longley
CTO