Re: Terminology poll

On 2017-06-26 3:00 PM, David Chadwick wrote:

> On 26/06/2017 16:59, Dave Longley wrote:
>> A potential problem with claimant is that the entity that actually makes
>> the claim is the issuer.
>
> You are misinterpreting the word 'makes' in your sentence above. In the
> various dictionary definitions of claimant, 'makes a claim' is used to
> denote 'asking for something', not 'manufacturing' or 'producing' a
> claim, which is your semantic

I believe that in both this and your accompanying email, David, with
the definitions of 'claimant' showing that this can't be the person
who actually produces the claim, you are correct.

But I believe the problem with using 'Claimant', capital 'C', in the
'Holder/Presenter...' role is that there is already, unless we change
this too, a Claim, capital 'C', that *is* produced by the Issuer.

If we used 'Claimant', then we'd be in the position of having:
Person A, the Claimant, 'makes a claim' that the Claim made by the
Issuer is correct.

If would force us to have 'making a claim' (colloquially) apply to
both roles.

That seems an unavoidable byproduct of having the official word
'Claim' for what's being produced by the Issuer.

I believe this would cause unnecessary confusion and should be avoided.

Steven