Re: Terminology poll (updated)

On 2017-06-26 12:47 PM, Dave Longley wrote:
> On 06/26/2017 03:27 PM, Steven Rowat wrote:
>> The way the poll page is set up, the word we choose has to do for
>> both cases where the role is split and where it's not. I think Sharer
>> is especially not ideal when the Subject and the
>> Holder/Presenter/...Sharer are the same person.
>
> Interesting -- I tend to think it fits that case better, especially
> thinking of it in terms of how other types of information are shared on
> the Web. People typically "share" their own data on the Web.

This is interesting. Perhaps it's a generational thing? I'm old. :-)

I don't think of it as 'sharing' my data. I send somebody an
attachment or a file or an email. If they ask me for something, I give
it to them or send it to them. I don't share it with them.

> A Sharer may share Claims with a Verifier. For example, sharing your
> digital driver's license with a police officer.
>
> That sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

And again, I wouldn't share my driver's license with a police officer.
I'd hand it over if they asked. If they emailed me asking for it, I'd
send it to them. I wouldn't think of saying that I'd share it with them.

But you've convinced me that 'Sharer' should stay on the poll, since
perhaps enough other people will want this usage.

Steven