Re: "Identity" - is a modal notion and the matrix

On 02/06/2017 19:17, Joe Andrieu wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 2, 2017, at 05:37 AM, David Chadwick wrote:
>> So I strongly believe that we identify entities in order to authorise
>> actions by them or on them (depending upon whether they are the subject
>> or object of the action).
>>
>> I would be pleased to hear from anyone who can specify a purpose of
>> identity/identification that does not involve authorisation.
>
> I think your notion of "authorize" would be more commonly regarded as
> acting on. I would go further and use the term apply.

or we could say, make a decision.

> In the common meaning of authorize, I could certainly identify and learn
> about an individual and then act on that understanding in situations
> that do not have that individual as an object or subject.

Agreed. But you are still using the identity information of a third
party to decide upon your course of action. So my general principle
still stands, since your decisions are based on this identity
information and would be different without that identity information.

> For example, I may learn of a serial killer in my neighborhood and
> without identifying that as a reason, reschedule an event that was to
> occur locally to a far away location. While I am acting on the
> information associated with a given identity, I'm not authorizing
> anything with respect to the serial killer. He/she remains completely
> unidentified in my subsequent actions and communications and I haven't
> authorized any actions directly related impacting them. Your broadened
> sense of authorize ("by my brain"), probably would be challenging

In this situation, your brain is a decision engine (aka PDP) and
enforcement point (aka PEP), and given the identity information you use
that to decide your actions.

> In the sessions I ran at RWoT and IIW, we came up with the following
> terms (iterated once more in this email):
>
> Identity information is identifiers, observations, statements, and insights.
>
> What we do with that information is collect, relate, reason, and apply.
>
> Identifiers are information whose purpose is to correlate entities
> across interactions and contexts.
> Observations are raw data which may be correlatable to one or more entities.
> Statements are assertions about entities, that is, attributes:
> observations and insights related to an entity.
> Insights are inferences about entities based on reasoning over
> observations and statements.
>
> Collect means to acquire and retain.
> Relate means to correlate observations and insights with particular
> entities, making statements
> Reason means to analyze known information to discover new insights
> Apply means to moderate or trigger actions based on known identity
> information
>
> The goal was to work through the functional notion of identity and
> discover the nouns and verbs in terms that would be accessible to soccer
> moms and CEOs and yet rigorous enough for technologists.

Good work, thanks for the info.

regards

David