Subject: BTCR hackathon feedback
------------------------

From: Federico Squartini <federico@spidchain.com>
Date: Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 12:24 PM
To: Christopher Allen <ChristopherA@blockstream.com>

I and Nicola Squartini took part to the BTCR remote hackathon. At Spidchain
we want to provide services built on top of self sovereign identity, and we
are following the development of the specification closely and when
possible we are trying to contribute to it.

This hackathon has seen several interesting advancements, in particular the
insight of Christopher that the DDO can be split in a blockchain stored
"deterministic" part and an "extension" part which can be stored elsewhere,
like github or IPFS. For a production app, probably IPFS is the best choice
although the immutable link between the address and the content could
create some problems.

Another useful insight is that in the BTCR scheme all verifiable claims
must be signed not only by the issuer, but also by the subject to which
they refer to. Only then are they considered verifiable by the protocol.
This in the spirit of self sovereignity, and also because positive
reputation systems are simpler to describe at this stage.

Also it has been decided that the bech32 encoded txref is the standard for
a BTCR DID.

During the hackathon we published
<https://github.com/SpidChain/spidchain-btcr> our (very) early stage BTCR
app. We plan to do the following updates in the next weeks:

 * Implement an SPV wallet in the browser
 * Switch to bech32 DID
 * Use the deterministic DDO with the extended part in IPFS

Discussing with the participants we also came to the conclusion that some
technical limitations like the difficulty of following DDO rotations up to
the unspent tip, can for the moment be sidestepped by using multiple (for
security) external block explorers.

We will report on the hackathon at the next Blockchain Milano meetup.

The remote hackathon has been a great opportunity for everyone interested
in the subject of self sovereign identity an we look forward to the next
one.

Federico Squartini