Re: DID Spec Closure Process: Cryptographic Key Material Proposals for the DID Specification

On 2017-12-19 1:20 AM, =Drummond Reed wrote:
> Per an action item from the last DID Spec Closure call (Thursdays at
> 10AM Pacific Time), I have created a new Google doc
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/13fp7V3v1nBuhxTI55Al8KLG2kyxFthBz-Ush-ZL58KA/edit?usp=sharing>
> to help us present and discuss proposals regarding one specific set of
> issues. From the introduction:
>
>     Over the past month the CCG has been holding DID Spec Closure
>     meetings. One of the primary issues being discussed is how DID
>     documents can best enable identity owners to publish the public
>     keys or other cryptographic material they need to make available
>     in a DID document in order to bootstrap trusted interactions. Note
>     that in many cases this cryptographic key material will be used in
>     conjunction with service endpoints that are also published in the
>     DID document.
>
>     The purpose of this document is to enable CCG member(s) who have a
>     particular point of view on how best to represent cryptographic
>     key material in a DID document to present their proposal in one
>     place so that the full group can evaluate all the proposals and
>     ideally find an intersection that everyone can live with.

Drummond & all,

TL;DR:  Include Use-cases in comparison?

Longer:

I agree that this Google doc seems like a good way to make a
comparison between DID structure choices that may have a long-term
effect. I look forward to seeing the others filled in.

However, in that document shouldn't there be some reference to
use-cases, since, AFAIK, they are potentially impacted by the choice?

Specifically, how would any proposal make it easier or harder for even
a single major use-case (like the refugee migration documents) to be
achieved? Or even better, perhaps three or four representative use-cases?

Or at very least, put a direct mention in the "Rationale" section that
variable ability to achieve use-cases should be considered and noted?

IMO it's the one thing everything on the list shares; when this DID
system is up and running, what use-cases will it be able to
perform...or not perform?

Steven