Re: Worldview conflicts on the purpose of DID documents

On 12/13/2017 11:57 PM, Manu Sporny wrote:
> On 12/13/2017 01:38 PM, =Drummond Reed wrote:
>
>> This necessarily includes specifying how that DID document can be
>> changed.
>
> Dave may be being quoted out of context here, but (like Markus) I
> disagree with the statement above. This is true for Veres One
> because it's a declarative blockchain, but not necessarily true for
> other Blockchains.

To quickly clarify this one point:

The only interoperable place where a user (DID "owner"/"controller") may
express their own desires is in the DID document.

This includes specifying any custom preferences about how the DID
document itself is updated. If a DID method does not permit a user to
express any sort of custom rules for updating a DID document or will not
honor them (for example, expressing rules to allow for social key
recovery via N specific peers) then it is true that any such rules would
always be absent from (or inert in) DID documents that derive from that
method.

--
Dave Longley
CTO