Re: DID Hardening: Keys

Drummond -- to reconcile your response above with the current key
description examples (in the DID Hardening V3 doc), I think you are saying
something like the following...

Currently, the samples in the hardening doc look like:

{

"id": "#key1",

"type": "rsa-2017-pem",

"value": "-----BEGIN KEY...END KEY-----\r\n"

}

But instead of the above, types would *also* encode parameters like key_ops,
use (using rfc7517 terminology).

Furthermore, to avoid the problems raised about algorithmic agility, the
key type is a URI describing 1 specific combination (as opposed to
component-wise specification) of these parameters. E.g. in the example
above, in addition to specifying RSA and pem, type would also specify a use
).

I like the precision of this approach. I personally feel this is the most
unambiguous for implementors, but others have more experience in this area
than I.

Of course I anticipate these objections/difficulties:
1. Mismatch with the current scope of LD key type
2. Future-proofing concerns Manu has mentioned around encoding being part
of the type

In any case, I'm finally clearer on the different proposals and hope we can
make more progress next discussion.

Thanks,
Kim

--
Kim Hamilton Duffy
CTO & Principal Architect Learning Machine

kim@learningmachine.com | kimhd@mit.edu
425-652-0150 | LearningMachine.com